Extremely hazardous in case of ingestion. Hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, sensitizer), of eye contact (irritant).Prolonged exposure may result in skin burns and ulcerations. Over-exposure by inhalation may cause respiratory irritation.
White crystals. It is quite stable against shock and friction and not hygroscopic. It is used in some strobe compositions where it is decomposed by copper salts or other compounds acting as catalysts. Some smoke formulas employ guanidine nitrate. It also found use in toy rocket fuels such as JETEX and may be found in some explosives. It is quite attractive because it has a high gas output, low flame temperature, and non-toxic combustion products.